Monday, August 21, 2006

Ah, high school

Now I'm not saying I would want to do it all over again or anything... But sitting here watching/helping my cousin Hilary with her 10th grade homework, there is something to be said for brief, daily assignments that one loses moving onto college. I suppose this simply speaks to the nerd I was in high school (yeah, yeah, and still am), but I really did enjoy that feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment in completing 20 algebra problems, diagramming 10 sentences, memorizing a few Bible verses, etc.

I suppose my longing for these simpler days is amplified by the replacement of said assignments by a 100 page research paper to be completed over the span of 2 years. Ah, grad school.

2 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 4:10 PM , Blogger A Living Epistle said...

wow.

are you serious?

i hated algebra.

 
At 8/25/2006 11:16 AM , Blogger Jen said...

haha. well, yes, i am serious. i loved algebra. not saying i always relished the prospect of spending my evening working through 30 math problems... but all-in-all, i found arithmetic a rather satisfying activity.

but then it just made sense to me, and i understand it doesn't to some people in which case it would understandably be more burdensome than satisfying (shrug).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home