Saturday, August 26, 2006

Disillusioned Self-Love

"Discouragement is disillusioned self-love" Oswald Chambers

This statement is strangely encouraging to me. It seems to both frame discouragement as a positive occurrence--for is it not good for our self-love to become disillusioned?--while it also emphasizes that we are not meant for lives of discouragement. Chambers is calling us to Christ-love in which the self is so hid in Him that it is essentially forgotten. If our sole love and desire is Christ, then there is never need to be discouraged because He is ours and we are His, now and always.


I must say, I am perplexed in entering the question of a right self-view. A godly self-view. I know that self-esteem does not really fit, so I had thought something such as self-compassion might have potential... But then there is humility, as well... I think I would like to know more about humility, but by its nature, it seems to be a rather elusive construct.

Humility and otherness. Forgetting self and yet finding yourself so connected to others that you think on them as you would think on yourself. Hm... I want to go back and review what Lewis says about these matters.

1 Comments:

At 8/31/2006 11:55 PM , Blogger A Living Epistle said...

this entry perplexes me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home