Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Giving Up or Letting Go?

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." Thomas A. Edison

"Letting go doesn't mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be." Anonymous
One could drive oneself mad always trying "just one more time," no? Certainly there are some pursuits that should not be given up, but just as certainly there are others that were never meant to be sought so adamantly.
"When I'm tempted to do something that feels like giving up, I won't ... because love doesn't give up (I Corinthians, 13). But, lest I push love aside, I will make sure that what I'm holding on to can coexist with love." Jan Denise
I would go even further to say that sometimes we can hold onto things so tightly that we forget love. A thing that may coexist with love may also distract from love when pursued for itself instead of for love's sake.

I think I'm about to give up. I feel I have tried one time too many. Some define insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, and I think giving up may be the key to releasing me from this insanity.

PS
I really enjoyed this quote so have to include it, as well, though unrelated:
"If you hear that someone is speaking ill of you, instead of trying to defend yourself you should say: 'He obviously does not know me very well, since there are so many other faults he could have mentioned.'" Epictetus



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home