Saturday, August 18, 2007

Extroversion/Introversion: A Continuum

Back to the topic of introversion. I figured this would require some expounding and this expectation was confirmed by the comment left by Jenn B, who questioned her own introversion in response to the article I linked, "Caring for Your Introvert." If I were to base my conception of introversion on this one article, I would find myself feeling that I don't fit anywhere in this world--I don't by any means "growl...when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice" but I also know for certain that I do not "think by talking."

Extroversion and Introversion are two ends of a continuum, and the article I reference seems to describe the extreme ends of that continuum. You may find yourself reflected more in one of the caricatures than the other, and this is probably a good indication of which side of the line you fall.

What I find fascinating about this personality trait is the physiological basis of it all (although despite my fascination, I really have not studied much on the matter). My simplistic understanding of this physiological difference is that introverts' bodies and minds have a higher baseline arousal than extroverts. As such, they do not require or seek out external stimulation to raise this arousal as extroverts do. Everything flows from this: introverts prefer alone time, a more quiet and slow pace, they are content to be alone with their own thoughts for hours and find it exhausting to be in large groups for very long; extroverts are literally physically uncomfortable being alone and quiet, their bodies need stimulation so they seek out people and experiences to achieve that stimulation.

Enter important point. Human bodies are not made "either/or." There aren't two levels of baseline arousal--the introvert and the extrovert. I have often been frustrated by people who say things like, "I know you'd never guess it about me, but I'm an introvert. I mean, I definitely need alone time." [Jenn, I'm not talking about you =). I can see that you have introverted qualities.] I would guess that about 95% of all human beings need at least some "alone time." And it's funny how these same people are probably the ones who would ask me why I'm so quiet--perhaps you can see why I would be so frustrated with this.

Just thought of this. It's interesting how the emphasis is on "needing" alone time... I don't usually think of it as a "need" that I must be consciously aware of meeting. For me, it's just a default/preference. If I have the choice to go to a big party or stay at home by myself and read (or even just sit and stare, really, ha) , I honestly prefer the latter. Now I do often make the choice to go to the party because while I enjoy being alone, I know that we were created for relationships, and sometimes investing in relationships means going to big parties. =)

::wandered off for a google search::

Ok, so I felt the need to verify my statements on the physiology of extroversion/introversion and found this site. Not exactly a peer-reviewed journal article or anything, but it seems to describe what I'm talking about pretty well. I didn't read it all, but one thing that caught my attention is the notion that under chronic anxiety, people's baseline arousal increases thus leading extroverts to behave more like introverts. I wonder if this is what is happening when these obviously extroverted people I meet claim to be introverts because of their "need" for alone time. Maybe when they get stressed out they find themselves needing to be alone and not wanting to go out and be around lots of people (suddenly it's overwhelming because their baseline arousal is already high) and so they recognize this as introverted behavior and conclude that they are introverted. Interesting. That is helpful for me, ha. I can understand them better and not be so frustrated =) This is good.

Alright, I hope this was helpful for some people or interesting at the least. Now it is time for some alone time with my bed. ;-)

2 Comments:

At 8/19/2007 9:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm......interesante. good point on the we're not either/or stuff...i tend to forget that...there are the stereotypes & then most of the world that typically falls somewhere in between.

 
At 9/11/2007 9:42 PM , Blogger Gadsby said...

Why are you so quiet? And why do you always growl when I accost you with pleasantries while I am just trying to be nice?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home