Saturday, August 11, 2007

Melodies of Crushes: A History

I think it was at some point on my 5 hour car trip to Charlotte last weekend that I got the urge to blog a list of the songs that represent my history of loves/crushes. I'm pretty sure this came upon me while listening to Imogen Heap sing "Goodnight and Go" which put me on an amusing trip into the not long ago past when I listened to Imogen's album "Speak for Yourself" on a train ride to Philadelphia to visit Joanna. I shan't go into a whole lot of detail due to fear that one of these unwitting young men might happen upon my site ;-)

The song-for-my-crush-of-the-year phase did not begin until high school. Let's see:

1) JH. 10th grade. Hm... Well, perhaps it didn't start until late high school... moving on.

2) KC. 11th grade. "How do I get there from here" Deana Carter. This was kind of a half-hearted connection based on the fact that this was someone I was friends with and could never really figure out if I was attracted to him or not. So the song doesn't fit perfectly, but I remember listening to it and thinking about him--maybe wishing that I felt that way.

3) JG. My boyfriend 11th-12th. At least 2 for this one.
  • "When you say nothing at all" Alison Krauss. This was the first song we danced to on our first "date"--homecoming junior year.
  • "Amazed" Lonestar. We also danced to this at homecoming. One night walking around my neighborhood JG suggested that this be "our song." I wasn't convinced--I don't think I ever really loved the song itself, heh--so it didn't really stick. (Or maybe it did since it made this list...?)
4) DR. Hm... lots of songs associated here, but a few that stand out.
  • "Cowboy take me away" Dixie Chicks
  • "I still believe" Mariah Carey
  • "I just don't think I'll ever get over you" Colin Hay (although I never was moved to drink strong whiskey, haha)
  • There is another song that I have only heard once in my life on the radio--I believe I heard it when my alarm went off to wake me from a nap freshman year, and it amazed me how it reflected my thoughts and feelings at that time. Unfortunately, I do not know who sings it or any of the lyrics. Who knows--maybe I dreamt it...
5) AH. Summer after freshman year of college.
  • "The Longest Time" Billy Joel. This was actually his song for our relationship which I think is amazing and still makes me happy.
  • "A Thousand Miles" Vanessa Carlton. It was a long distance relationship (shrug). Haha.
(Who am I forgetting in here? Who was my sophomore crush?)

6) DK. Junior year. Anything Michael Jackson because he loves him.

7) EP. Senior year. Hm... Not sure I had a song for him.

8) Grad school #1. "Goodnight and Go" Imogen Heap.

9) Grad school #2. "One Evening" Feist--for the melody and dancing more than the lyrics.

10) Grad school #3. "Let Go" Frou Frou and "The Walk" Imogen Heap. (I think I just really like Imogen Heap, haha.)

11) Who's next? ;-) I'm hoping for "When I fall in love" Nat King Cole. (I couldn't find a better love song to imply I'm hoping it will be a crush to last a lifetime, heh.)

But for now I guess "You can't hurry love" The Supremes will have to do. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home