Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

Only once have I even sort of had a valentine. My homecoming date junior year of high school took the occasion to announce his feelings for me and thus I had my first boyfriend. I still remember opening my locker and seeing the rose there. It had a card with it that read something like, "To the only one for me." I remember falling to my knees in a sudden moment of uncharacteristic drama (my locker was on the bottom row) while a voice in the back of my mind thought, "How can he say I'm the only one for him when he hardly knows me." We broke up long before the next V-day rolled around, and by then I was secretly in love with someone else. Unfortunately, that love didn't survive to see the next Valentine's either.

And while I do usually wish that I had someone to spend this special day of love with, I'm not one to wish the day away in the meantime. I'm a romantic. I love romance and romantic things. I love flowers and gifts and chocolate, seeing couples dressed up on a special evening out together, twilight and walks in the park. And those things are no less meant for me just because I don't have a boyfriend or a husband. I have love, and so I will celebrate it.

And I am thankful I have a papa who loves me and is taking me and my mama out for a valentine's dinner. =)

"Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love.
But the greatest of these is love."
I Corinthians 13:13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home