Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Praising in the Darkness

I've been learning a lot lately about praising and loving God in the midst of pain and darkness. Not so much from personal experience at this point in time--although I have been there recently--but that message keeps coming at me from different directions, in different forms:
  • I'm reading Hinds Feet on High Places, and I've only just begun it, but already I know that Sorrow and Suffering are accompanying Much Afraid on her journey and that the Shepherd will not carry her to the high places... but this is necessary to give her hinds feet.
  • I'm taking a class on the end times from a pre-mill, post-trib. perspective. If the church is to experience mass martyrdom, betrayal among brethren, and lawlessness on the earth as never before, we must learn to praise and love God in the midst of pain and darkness.
  • I was talking with a friend recently about the strange state of either being wary of trials ending or missing them because you know that without them it is too easy to lose the desperation for God felt in the midst of them that can lead to deeper, richer, and stronger love and worship. Not that I think you should purposely seek out or lengthen trials, but I see now more than ever how James could say that they are a reason to rejoice:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

I think this passage from Habakkuk is so beautiful and captures the heart of one who is set on praising God, come what may:
Though the fig tree should not blossom
And there be no fruit on the vines,
Though the yield of the olive should fail
And the fields produce no food,
Though the flock should be cut off from the fold,
And there be no cattle in the stalls,
Yet I will exult in the Lord;
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength
And He has made my feet like hinds' feet
And makes me walk on my high places.
Habakkuk 3:17-19

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home