Thursday, September 18, 2008

"You need to get out more..."

So a week ago or so, one of our maintenance guys came by our apartment while I was home on my lunch break. We had a few things around the apartment that we had asked him to look at... well, Christina had asked him to look at 'cause she's proactive like that, ha. =)

One of the requests was to fix the dripping faucet in our kitchen. Apparently someone had looked at it before and decided that if you turned it hard enough it would stop, so they didn't need to fix it. The problem with this solution was that the faucet was a mischievous faucet and would pretend to stop dripping for a little while and then begin again. Or on other days it would refuse to stop dripping at all no matter which way you twisted it. Drip, Drip.... Drip... Drip... Drip, Drip.

So, we insisted on getting it fixed. And mister maintenance man fixed it. And he showed me it was fixed. And I said, "Yay! That's exciting!"

He looked at me with this surprised, quizzical brow and said, "Exciting? ... If you think that's exciting, you need to get out more." I kind of laughed and shrugged. But then he said it again. "Yeah, you really need to get out more." And I looked at him and thought to myself, "I don't know how to respond to you." And a little while later he said it again! "Man, if you think that is exciting, you seriously need to get out more."

Sheesh, man. Are you the excitement police? Who on earth gets upset over someone getting excited about something that they don't find exciting? Now it makes sense to be bothered by someone complaining about something that doesn't matter. But why should you be bothered by someone rejoicing about something that doesn't matter? Certainly superfluous joy isn't something to be concerned about, is it?

But I felt sad that I wasn't able in the moment to explain to the man that the reason I find joy in such a simple thing isn't because my world is small. I guess perhaps it's a choice? To find pleasure in even the smallest victories and beauties we experience here on earth.

So here's to the pleasure of simple things and getting excited about the disciplining of a mischievous faucet!

1 Comments:

At 9/19/2008 8:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's hilarious. yet again we appear to be the same person. ;) i've definitely been told i'm "too easy to please". i'm ok with that though.

besides, does he not realize how irritating a leaky faucet is?? good lord! in my (too easy to please) book that IS legitimate excitment!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home